Marvel Studios & Disney is notorious for keeping things of its upcoming movies under wraps. During the 11 years & 22 movies of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the plot and ending the was never released before the release of the movies. However, there were accidents like Tom Holland spilling some details during interviews and Mark Ruffalo Instagramming Thor: Ragnarok live. They go to a great length to keep things under wraps. During the recent interview with Jimmy Kimmel Live the cast of Spider-Man: Far From Home explains how Marvel kept the spoilers under wrap.
Here are a few ways Marvel keeps things under wraps.
- Cast members are not given the full script exception of Robert Downey, Jr. and Chris Evans & Chris Hemsworth.
- Only the producer, director, and the scriptwriters know the plot.
- The director decided how the movie ends and the post-credit scenes.
- The scripts for cast members are given with blacked out lines and blacked out words. Some words are added digitally during post-production.
- Cast members are not told what they are filming or the story of the scene. There is a lot of improvisation.
- Most cast members learn the exact story of the movie during the premiere.
- Most members from other MCU films do not get invited to the premiere at all.
- All the Stan-Lee cameos in multiple are filmed in one go.
- Extras are discouraged from talking to each other.
- Extras are not told what they are filming for.
- Trailers are edited and content digitally added or removed to distract from the actual story
- There is a lot of NDAs with partners.
- Marvel has multiple MCU movies in development secretly in any given moment and usually does not release the title until the principle photography (filming) is completed.
Marvel wants to keep fans on the edge of their seats and surprise them at the end. It is imperative that they keep everything under wraps until fans get to see the movie.
Take a look at the interview with Jimmy Kimmel where the cast explains the process.